The Collections of King Oscar It were established at the King's Summer Residence at Bygdøy in 1881 and were opened to the public the following year. King Oscar II was king of Sweden and Norway, and he financed the relocation of five buildings to the site. The idea and inspiration bebind the Collections belonged to Court Chamberlain Christian Holst, agent at the Summer Residence. The Collections were meant to show that the King was deeply interested in Norway and thereby strengthen the ties between the monarch and the nation. The Collections became part of the Folk Museum in 1907.
The main buildings in Oscar II's Collection are the Stave Church from Gol in Hallingdal and the house from Hove in Heddal in Telemark.
The House from Hove in Heddal
The house was built in 1738 as a guest house and "fine" room for important events, and is therefore larger and more luxurious than most houses. However, the floor plan and furnishings are basically the same as other houses in the area.A gallery in stave construction extends from the door around the gable wall. One modern element is the low upper story without windows. In the anteroom are several items from the Heddal stave church which belonged to the Hove family. The carved medieval lectern in the anteroom was made into a collection box for the poor. The main room has a ceiling of beams, and the fireplace, bed, table, cupboards and benches are made and arranged according to local custom.The bed is large and the cupboard at its foot is the entrance to the cellar. The wealthy Ole Olsen Hove had the house built when he married Tone Sveinungsdatter Hove, heiress to the farm. Ole was the son of the famous sheriff, Ole Hovdejord, also known as Tinnemannen. The initials TSD and 00S are carved into the cupboards at the ends of the table and later generations have also recorded their presence. All of the items and furnishings shown were sent with the house.